What John Ott discovers during encounters of the influencial kind... (Different Observatory Outlook)

Friday, May 06, 2005

An Immerse Experience Leads To Positive Interaction With Southfield High School (5-6)

I can't stress how important this field trip was. I really enjoyed having the chance to meet some new bright lights. All of the staff at the Observatory were on hand today and we made it our best effort to provide some new perspectives to make the students shine.

The students had the chance to go through Tower 1 and 2, they learned some history about the Observatory and had the chance to view some sunspot activity. Be sure to check out www.skyandtelescope.com for the latest activity on the sun.
(Or any other solar and weather related activity!)

Is it safe to say that many of us don't know to much about the sun? If not, then I guess all of you were out on Sunday collaborating about the recent activity. This turns out to be quite rare because during this eleven year cycle of the sun, the activity during this time is supposed to be quite low.

I hope that I get a chance to see some of these students at the summer camp. However, if the students don't get a chance to come at the Observatory at that time, I will make sure Mr. Terrell gets to. I could tell he was the type of teacher I wish I had. Either way, next time I see him, I'll make sure I'll talk to him.

The NASA program sounds terrific, and I hope when this program is combined with "Wireless Oakland" the results will be as well. I'll express my collective efforts to make society aware of the opportunity that is at hand.

Best to all, -John Ott
P.S. I hope Zach doesn't forget this experience anytime soon, he may have a future in photography! I didn't really get the chance to express the revised NGA layout but I won't forget about it. I hope next time I see Dan at the Observatory we can get a chance to operate the telescope in Tower 2. The telescope viewing is excellent when this is combined with the "Starry Night" software. My thanks goes out to all of you, I had a great time today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home