What John Ott discovers during encounters of the influencial kind... (Different Observatory Outlook)

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Updates.... And New Material (3-5)

Everything for the argumentative Paper is progressing well, and it seems as though the stress journal documentation for another class will be starting soon. I wanted to wait to make sure I had legitimate queries about stress before I went out on a tangent and debated nothing.

So thanks to all of you for all of your efforts so far... I have come very far from the lowly 10th grade boy you once knew.

P.S. Here is something to look at...
(The events may be a bit out of order do to length constraint. It may not double space the paragraphs either.)
John Ott
Ms. Briggs
Psychology 2510
07 March 2006
Peak Experience: “Select Fifty Secret”
When it is a high school student’s last year it should be filled with great joy and surprise. Though it may seem like the year will never end, somehow as students we look back and wonder why we were so anxious to leave that place. Something special had occurred just before graduation, and the likelihood of it seemed surreal. That experience that took place was so extraordinary, I wasn’t sure what to feel.
Mass amounts of people were gathered at Waterford Kettering High School to celebrate recognition of those that were named “Select Fifty.” This consisted of two groups of twenty-five students from Waterford Kettering and Waterford Mott High School that received honors pertaining to their achievements both inside and outside the classroom. I wasn’t too nervous at the thought of being one of the groups to represent the school, but I did more then question myself at the thought the values of my achievements during my high school experience. What could I be recognized for? I’m really just another student who just does his job at school and then relaxes at home.

As I looked back for merits to accompany this honor I discovered I had become the first representative from strictly Waterford Kettering, to intern at the McMath-Hulbert Solar Observatory. I remembered the field trips I helped compose with the work of my friends to get the autistic group from Waterford Kettering to take a field trip to the observatory. I also thought back on all of the Agrivisory Committee meetings I went to so the group could help bring video conferencing into the classroom, so it would be possible to pursue a collaborative effort in the school environment. After I thought back about how hard I had worked to get to where I am today, I had realized that this recognition is worth brandishing on a student like me.
Before all of the “Select Fifty” went into the gym, the individual students from the group had taken a picture with our friends and family, and with the principal of the respective school. When everyone from the group had finished with their pictures, we had pilled into the gym to commence the ceremony. I remembered I couldn’t sit still because I just wanted to get the ceremony over with. Right on cue, I had stepped up to receive an award for making the “Select Fifty” and took my seat. The bright lights and the suspense seemed non-existent but I had a feeling all of that was about to change somehow.

As the event grew to a close a final meeting that was labeled as an ordinary conference for parents and students about the upcoming graduation took place. The program held in the gym turned out a hidden honors presentation. Students were once again wondering what this could be as much as anyone was. This award given out was for “Senior of the Year.” This award was meant for anyone who had given it their all to be a valuable citizen in the global society. As this was a narrow field of about five I was amazed I was even chosen let alone picked to receive “Senior of the Year.” I couldn’t stop smiling and I don’t think I was even aware of what had just happened. The experience is similar to finding one of those Publisher’s Clearing House checks because it shows up all of the time, but do we ever expect to win?
If I want to receive more peak experiences I realized how to do so in that day. If I constantly give just enough effort to the point where I could best the best I could have more peak experiences. The point is to give it your all day in and day out without compromising the body, mind, and soul. While it is never easy to do so, it is essential to success.

John:

Congratulations! You have evolved to become an outstanding adult human being! We are very proud of you and your accomplishments. Understanding "true success" is no small feat. Much continued success, my friend! Additionally, here endeth the lesson............which also serves as a benchmark for the continuence of your personal journey and quest for a higher-ordered, fulfilling and meaningful life. You are to be treasured!

Best,

Jim